Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2017

Young Buck/Keys


Date: 4-5 February 2017
Weather: Hot and clear Sat, overcast and rainy sun
Crew: Dave, Kellie, Mish
Target Fish: Trout
Bait:  - Fly - Parachute Adams #14, Royal Stimulator #12 with Copper John #12
Catch: 5 Rainbows, 1 from buck, 4 from keys
Report: Have always struggled to find trout on the Young Buck. This time, I hit the regular good looking runs with no success, then came up to a nice looking pool. I decided I'd sit down for 5 minutes and if I didn't see a fish, I'd head back to camp. One minute later a fish started rising. I slowly crept upstream to a good position, and threw my first back cast into a tree. Crept back, untangled and crept back again. Cast again, and BANG hit...strike...nothing. Pulled the line up and found the line had snapped right at the leader-tippet knot. I reckon the line was damaged in the snag.
Continued the same approach further upstream and managed one good sized rainbow.
Next day, Kellie gave me 'no longer than one hour' on the Keys. I was literally running upstream, bypassing good water to focus on 'water that definitely contain fish'. Managed to land 4 rainbows, and lose a couple more. The Keys is one of my favourite rivers ever.
Report: 8/10 (most likely would have been 10 if I had a few more hours on the keys)


No comments: